Sunday, July 5, 2009

Today's Inspiration: The Peace Box

Maybe 5 or 6 years ago, my pen pal sent me a a little book which I'm convinced is made up of 99.9% magic (I will show that off later!) The book was created back in the late 60's/early 70's by a man named Joseph Pintauro and illustrated by Norman Laliberté and ever since then I've been popping into any and all used book stores to see if I could find more from the duo - sadly, I was always coming up empty handed but thank heavens for the internet because I've picked up quite a few from Amazon and Abe Books! I know of one other magical creature who has copies of the books, but apart from Siri, there's not too much talk about these books! So, I've decided to do a little re-occurring Sunday post in which I show off some of the pages. I call them my magic hippie books - and they surely are!

So, before I get down to it - I'll share a little bit of information about the series... There are four books (one for each season) making up the Rainbow Box Series (an illusive entity that's hella doll hairs on Abe Books). The Peace Box is the first of the series and holds itself as Winter. I have to say, it's not my favorite of the bunch - but it's certainly still wonderful!!

peacebox47

. . .

peacebox48

. . .

peacebox10

. . .

peacebox12

. . .

peacebox19

. . .

peacebox43

. . .

peacebox44

. . .

peacebox36

. . .

peacebox35

. . .

peacebox56

. . .

peacebox64

. . .

peacebox65

. . .

peacebox95

. . .

peacebox92

. . .

peacebox11

. . .


Next weekend I'll show you The Rabbit Box - which has a hefty amount of pretty old Victorian and turn of the century photographs!!

20 comments:

Sasha Foster said...

These images are amazing! One of my favourites is the page that says
"with a thimble full of wisdom". What a great little phrase!

Jessica said...

So, this is just about the best magical hippie book I've ever seen!!! The illustrations are soo dreamy and all things wonderful!!

Elle said...

Amazing as always. Thanks for sharing :)

joel. said...

beautiful images. im looking forward to the future ones.
thanks for sharing.
-joel

Lexie said...

omg! these are so beautiful. i wish i could print them out and hang them in my room.

Anna Wallace said...

gorgeous art! love all the colors.

Erica Kelly said...

this is pure magic.

Starr said...

AMAZING! Love the "doll hair" line too!

Gracie said...

ooh, how wonderful ^-^

Isabel said...

I really like the "make the earth attractive" one. I may use it in a future inspiration post!

Ringo, have a banana! said...

Yay, I'm so glad you're doing this! I've been meaning to scan and post them for ages, but I never got through more than a select few pages from "A Box of Sun". And even though I already have all four, I STILL want that crazy $500 box set (I mean, IT COMES WITH A POSTER!!)

hannah, heart city said...

lovely stuff, can't wait for the rabbit box! you are all over the weardrobe.com 's contest this week!

Marie said...

They are really great images, I love the dog and the florals! Thanks for sharing- Amazon is great at finding that lost treasure.

Love_Again said...

This looks to be my dream book. Thank you so much for scanning these illustrations, they made my day.

moxiegrey said...

I have 3 of the four that go to this set. The Magic Box, The Peace Box and The Box of Sun. My Uncle gave them to me and said there is one for each season. I don't know the name of the fourth. The Magic Box is my favorite. Here are a few quotes.

"Oh Death, where would we be without you? to be unwilling to die is just as dangerous as being too unwilling to live." The Magic Box

"Time we must be fast because it will drag us who do not move freely with it. Time is the secret." A Box of Sun


I hope you can get your hands on these books. They blew me away!!!!
xo
Moxie Grey

Vancouverista said...

These books were (and probably still are) in my parents house when I was growing up and I used to look through them often. They have so much cool art and poetry. Having hippie parents has a lot of perks.

renee anne said...

hello!
Just wanted to say that I have just finished watching the little video from etsy, and I thought i was just wonderful!

you have such GORGEOUS taste, and I love your sweet little outfit.

Your room is lovely and it is just so sweet how you are inspired from your grandma.

OFf to check out your amazing etsy shop :)

Take care,


Renee x

Sasi said...

Lovely pics.

jeff allen said...

Those are rad mouse! I'll be back from Canada on the 12th. Miss ya

Samantha said...

I would love to use one of these illlustrations on the cover of my book. Do you know who I'd need to contact regarding this please?

I love your blog, by the way. It's a constant source of inspiration.

Related Posts with Thumbnails