Wednesday, July 22, 2009

20th Century ephemera

Yesterday I spent part of my rainy afternoon looking around my grandmother's house. I didn't venture up into the attic or down into the cellar, but I snooped around her office and rustled around the beauty shop a bit. I found some really wonderful little bits and pieces that I was going to share with folks in 1 3 8 5 packages (what a perfect place to find little gifts for packages too!) but, now I'm just not sure I can part with it!

For starters, I found a stack of blank notebooks. Wide ruled, grid - my heart was palpitating at the sight!!

1 3 8 5 findings


I also found one of my great grandfather's old ledgers from the 20s... There's some writing at the beginning of the book - but there's so much blank paper with the stamped numbers at each corner!! I pay an arm and a leg for new grid paper with the numbers at the stationary store, so finding a whole bunch of it was like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow!!!



And can I just say - short hand math is so dreamy! My favorite is division - but addition is beautiful too!

1 3 8 5 findings

. . .


One of my favorite things to do in Boston is to visit Bob Slate. I would love it even more if they still carried their old stock so I could pick up more of these labels...

1 3 8 5 findings

1 3 8 5 findings

1 3 8 5 findings

1 3 8 5 findings

... well, at least my grandmother held onto hers!!

. . .


I also came across this funny little box. I'm not entirely sure what's inside - or what it's used for - but this package is a marvel (or maybe a failure?) of industrial design. It basically has printed directions on every flap, edge, and side - Pull - Push - Stop!

1 3 8 5 findings

1 3 8 5 findings


I could bore you with photographing each step (be it correct or incorrect) of opening the package, but I guess it's nice to have such support!!

. . .


Awh, and a little book of airmail stamps ... it's a pity it doesn't exist in the US anymore - such nice supplies!

1 3 8 5 findings

1 3 8 5 findings

. . .


I now have a lovely little collection of Little Blue Books - my favorite being the "How to Write a Telegram"

1 3 8 5  findings


The metal index card holder makes a perfect new home for it and a few family photographs I found laying around in a pile.

1 3 8 5  findings

. . .


I did manage to gather up a bunch of bobby pin cards and a stack of maps for my packages ... I usually forget to tuck the hair pin cards in when I'm bundling dresses, but I now have two boxes of the cards so from here on out they'll be mailing staples!

1 3 8 5 findings

1 3 8 5 findings

30 comments:

vintage_girl said...

In polish the title says "The Gold Book" and there is a date inside (May of course):)

Mars said...

it's all wonderful! i love the math ledger especially :3 and thank you so much for the bobby pins in my package (and the dress, yay!) - i couldn't even think of using them, they're definitely going on display somewhere :)!

the snail and the cyclops said...

vintage_girl - thank you so much for translating the title for me! it's even more special to me now!!!

mars - awwh, I'm glad it got to you! and trust me, if you ever decide to use the pins and want more - let me know, I'm sure there's more in the cellar!

Cait said...

Your Grandmother's house sounds blissful, like your very own time capsule.

I love all the stationary! I always hoard stationary but then I'm too afraid to actually use it because its too pretty.

Gina said...

what beautiful treasure! there's nothing like an old notebook. your great-grandfather had such elegant cursive!

Parapluie said...

This is the loveliest post ever!

nath said...

swoon. all that beautiful beautiful stationery. i love the bobbie pins, but actually everything thing else as well. how wonderful to have an plunder-able archive.

Anna Wallace said...

what great finds!

i especially love the bobbie pins. i have some old ones similar to them and they work so much better than the new ones!

Britt Huff said...

I am currently in Delaware and just found an old reservation ledger book COMPLETELY blank. oh i swooned and thought of the drawings and letters that could be done, but alas it was 50 bucks.

ahhh.
love everything here missy

Jessica said...

Aw shucks, every little thing just about stole my heart....it's all so wonderful and dreamy. Aww and I totally agree with you about the shorthand math! It's just the prettiest to look at...especially when it's sort of complicated but written especially neat and organized. Aw man, your grams house really is a dream though, treasures everywhere! You're a lucky gal :) Ooh, and the postage labels and that silly package made for people with pea brains..oh dear! I'll stop gushing now..the loveliest post!

xx

hannah, heart city said...

what lovely finds, each are like a little time capsule. thank goodness your grandmother was such a pack rat!

muchlove said...

oh my goodness, such wonderful finds!! I could spend hours admiring each and every item... and they all look to be in perfect condition too.

Monster Girl said...

what beautiful loot!

sew nancy said...

wonderful items.

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

oh i am green with envy!!! what lovely vintage office supplies! i want to meet your gramma soooo badly! she just sounds like the neatest lady!

Anonymous said...

This is seriously my dream. I know things like this exist in my grandma's house, but I have a tyrant aunt who lives with her and she would have a fit if I went through things to take. Hold all of these close to your heart and don't get rid of them!

P.S.: stunning blog, by the way!

Catherine Shu said...

I love ephemera so much! Reading your blog is like opening a treasure box each time. My favorite is the back of the airmail stamps reminding people to use zip codes... it gives you a sense of what life was like decades ago, when zip codes were a new thing and people had to get used to them. Thank for sharing... these are wonderful!
:: www.therenegadebean.com ::

Aya Smith said...

What magnificent finds! SO wonderful, just to look at in a blog post!

I remember getting the bobby pins with the skirt I bought, and it was just so fun to unwrap! ^_^

Jessica said...

This is just INCREDIBLE. My grandma used to have all kinds of things, but then got rid of them without telling me :( oh man. I'm so jealous!

Susannah M. Smith said...

I love visiting your blog and just added it to the links on mine! http://susannahmsmith.blogspot.com/

Khanh said...

so precious, I love all vintage things. thank you for sharing Francesca.

Casey said...

Oh wow! What wonderful treasures! I love old notebooks; I found a bunch at a thrift shop dating from the 40s or 50s a year or two ago. They were almost too neat to use... ;) But those little paper labels! Oh! I think those are my favorite in your post. hehe! ;)

Sia said...

Oh, the "Złota Księga" must be from Poland -I live here :) It's nice to see something from my country on your blog ;)

Isabel said...

I had no idea that old office supplies could be so interesting! And I quite like looking at the shorthand addition too.

Penny said...

i love things like this. i think everybody has a bit of a stationary fetish!!!

andrea said...

I love those old labels and boxes! I think it's sweet that you're adding the maps/bobby pin cards to your packages...I do the same thing with mine.

Jay said...

!!! The notebooks! The ledger! And o, those labels!!! Your grandmother obviously knew what was worth keeping--these are all just so darling.

Your great-grandfather had such amazing handwriting, too. What an adorable family! :]

Meghan said...

Such amazing finds!! I've come across similar items in my basement that had been packed away long ago and forgotten. There is something to wonderfully precious about vintage paper goods. :sighs:

reilly said...

there is always something I like in your store but the bobby pin cards are like extra incentive! ;)

Teresa @ good-grace said...

oh my ... I love all of these labels and whatnot!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails