Monday, July 27, 2009

The Birthday Dress!

Yes, you know - the dress you wear on your special day. You usually pick it up at some darling little shop a few weeks beforehand and it's usually one of those dresses that fits so well and is just so pretty you on the spot declare it "My Birthday Dress"

I subconsciously started this tradition on my 19th birthday. Funny enough, that dress was also my first vintage dress that actually fit and didn't come from my grandmother's attic. At that point in my life I didn't know vintage stores existed and thought the only old dresses to be found were the polyester potato sacks that showed up in Salvation Army.

I don't wear this one very often. Despite it being the first dress to fit me well, it's too big in the top, but I will never, ever sell it. Nope, never. I don't have any pictures from my actual birthday, but - I do have one or two that Jeff has snapped of me from back in the day when I lived in Vermont.

many moons ago


. . .


My 20th birthday brought me to seacoast New Hampshire and I wore a little custom dress from Seam So Swell. I still have it and I love it, but the zipper has fallen ill and needs to be replaced!

My 20th Birthday

My 20th Birthday


. . .


My 21st birthday, I don't know what happened that year but I just wore a little h&m dress. lame? yess.... There's not too many pictures from this day, but it was a good one! On the eve of my birthday I went with Alice and Jeff to Portsmouth. We ate at The Friendly Toast and I twirled sparklers around right at midnight. That day Jeff and my dear friend Jeneen and I went to New York! We went to see the Paul Poiret exhibit at the Met and wandered around Manhattan. It was a beautiful day and I remember being so happy we stumbled upon the Alice In Wonderland status in Central Park. Then we happened to find ourself right near a man playing according... it was perfect.

Mouserland


. . .


My 22nd birthday was... totally perfect and I'm always wishing for a time capsule to be transported back!!

birthday dress



twenty   two


That dress feels so soft, the way that flower petals feel - it's practically like wearing a buttercup!!!! It might go down as the best dress in history!

. . .


... Today. I don't know what to wear. I've had a few dresses I deemed as my birthday dress, but now I don't know which one to choose... Alice just came upstairs to check on me and she said, "you have a lot of ideas. you just have to put one on!" I thought that was a nice way to think about dresses. And I suppose I better get pickin'!!

50 comments:

Liz said...

happy birthday little lady! im sure whatever you decide on will perfect :)

AlicePleasance said...

happy birthday! I remembered the pics of your 22nd birthday dress: it looks gorgeous :-)

Lemon said...

a lovely way to remember birthdays: through dresses! you'll smashing whatever frock you choose. have fun!

Annalise said...

Well happy birthday and I'm sure whatever dress you pick will be lovely.
XOXO

Madeline said...

Happy Birthday!

Tom and Maria said...

All lovely dresses, I am so jealous of the 1920's yellow number, it is perfect. It is lovely when an item of clothing has sentimental value as well as fitting and looking right.

Lucy ♥ said...

happy birthday! :)

jessibee said...

I love the buttercup dress. It looks so perfect on you!

Ruth said...

Your 22nd dress is so beautiful! Gorgeous colour!

Jessica said...

Awww happy birthday Frankie!!!!! I really do hope it's the bee's knees and all things lovely and wonderful like that...you deserve every bit of it! Aw, and I'm sure you'll pick the most perfect lil' dress there is! I love you to pieces and I hope your day is as sweet as vanilla birthday cupcakes with strawberry (not rainbow!!) sprinkles!

xx

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! What a lovely tradition. I'm sure you'll pick something amazing! :)

Emily Blackapple said...

Happy wishes for you and the antics you'll get up to in your special dress, petit escargot!

xxoo

PS: I'm sending you a strawberry chocolate from Miette with my mind.

Matt said...

well then happy b day(s)!

Gina said...

Buttercup jubilee! What a dream come true. It's almost a ballerina costume. So pretty. Happy birthday!

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

Oh I adore the last dress, you look like you stepped right out of the 20's! So pretty!

xo

Jennifer
http://milliedeel.blogspot.com/

Casey said...

I love the idea of a birthday dress! I've only just started doing it (I made a dress for my 23rd birthday and wore it again this year!). You have some cute, past birthday dresses! Especially the beauty for your 22nd... gorgeous!

Anna Wallace said...

i love this idea... and that last dress. happy birthday and good luck picking out your birthday dress for today!

Milla said...

Happy Bday! I have birthday dresses too, lovely post, inspring post, thank you.

trinsch said...

all the photos in this post are amazing. pure perfection!

Lisa said...

Love all of the photos! My favorite dress out of all of them is the one from your 22nd!

Happy Birthday! :)

Jay said...

Oh my gosh, how cute are you?! I love all your birthday dresses, but especially your 22nd. That overlaid skirt! With that delicate lace over that gorgeous yellow skirt! So perfect! To say nothing of that wardrobe and fireplace and mantel! Swoooooon! So! Many! Exclamation! Marks!

I'm sure you'll find something special and lovely for #23. O, and happy birthday!!!

Beth Ruby said...

Happy birthday!
I think it is such a cute idea to have a birthday dress, I dont think i subconsiously have one but I do normally put on a nice frock on my special day :)
Love these photos by the way, the polaroids especially are beautiful!
Beth xx

Suzy said...

happy birthday, you dear! i think the first post i ever read of yours was from a year ago, with that a-mazing dress. hope you're having a wonderful day!!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!

you have such a lovely collection of dresses, all make stunning special day dresses :)

I do tend to dress extra cute on my birthday too haha, dunno why, it must be a girly tradition? haha

Isabel said...

A birthday dress -what a lovely tradition! I wish I had something like that.

La Papeleria Antigua said...

I'm sure you will look lovely
no matter what you choose.
Happy Birthday!!! I hope you do something special today, If would have know it was your b-day
I would have sent you a box of caramels or a little something. Enjoy your special day!!!

-Karla

Tracy said...

awww, maybe a really awesome one will come in the mail today! :)

What we four say said...

Happy Birthday, I think! All the dresses are lovely!

Shoe Gal said...

I agree! Birthdays always call for pretty dresses...I do the same thing!

kristen said...

well then happy birthday wish is in order.
i am willing to bet what ever you choose as you birthday dress is just perfect.
i hope you had a good one!

Kelley Anne said...

Happy birthday! That's a good tradition...I'll have to start doing it next year:)

Valencia Lia said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!

I'm always excited when my birthday comes. Because I get to choose a special dress to wear on that day .

But my choice is, I'll always go for a vintage 40s to 60s dress :)

kristen said...

happy birthday is in order for curtain!
i sincerely hope you had a fabulous day!
and i look foward to your next post that contains as picture of you birthday dress. once again happy day!

Bored and Crafty said...

Love love love the yellow dress. I love any dress that has a flapper feel to it. :D

Julia said...

what a beautiful post. seeing your style i am sure you will find just the right dress for this birthday. have a good one!

Sandra said...

the last year's dress seems like a dream indeed! I'm sure you're gonna find sth lovely to wear this year as well! I usually buy shoes for my b-day :P. Oh, and Happy Birthday by the way :)

Unknown said...

Happy happy birthday! I have been lurking around your blog for about a year now but I've never commented, though for some reason I feel rude reading your post and not giving you some birthday wishes... Hopefully you have a wonderful day filled with favourite people, places, food and of course, dresses! :-)

Rachel said...

Happy birthday! My birthday is in a few days and this inspires me to find a perfect birthday dress. All yours are so pretty!

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

How exciting Happy Birthday sending you birthday wishes from England! Have a super day you have some beautiful outfits so I'm sure you will look fantastic! Maybe pick two and have a day time and evening outfit. Looking forward to seeing your photos - Kisses Kitty x

Hannah said...

Happy birthday tidings to one of my favourite bloggers! That last Birthday Dress is indeed one of the most gorgeous things ever.

Eyeliah said...

Happy Birthday! I totally have a new dress (or outfit) for each bday too. It's so funny has time goes by as I was around for your last bday. It's funny to think how long we will all be blogging and following, you might be posting your 30th bday you know?
:-)

sheena said...

you are the cutest! happy day!

"hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said...

happy happiest of birthdays lil' lady! you will look darling in any ole' dress. i have no doubt! i can't wait to see what you chose and i hope it was such a wonderful day! yay you!

Crystal Ball said...

Happy belated birthday. The pictures are so beautiful and the dress is gorgeous.

Arielle said...

Happy birthday.!! That yellow dress is my favorite too. I can imagine how cozy and soft it feel.

Meghan said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!! :0) I hope you have the most wondrous day!
Where did you find that gorgeous yellow dress?? O.M.G. amazing!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing tradition! My birthday is coming up, so maybe I should start :) I even have a dress in mind. Probably won't be as exciting to start at 25. Anyway, hope you had a lovely day! And that 22nd bday dress is perfection!!

Dani said...

Such lovely, lovely dresses. :)

Farah said...

It's so nice birthday dress!! I love its design and yellow color...

BEESTLYproducts said...

whichever you pick will be perfect i'm sure! happy birthday!

Related Posts with Thumbnails