Friday, March 5, 2010

The start of Spring

There's definitely something in the air right now. It's that funny in between time - the change of seasons - an anticipation for new and exciting things ... I'm being vague - but it's sort of a vague thing .... Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's subtle - but it's the sort of thing that puts an extra skip in your step and makes you smile a little more, even if there's nothing to smile about.



These pictures are actually from last Saturday, I don't have anything too special to share besides them - so you'll have to excuse my lack of aesthetic interestingness! But, that dress is new and I love it to pieces... I found it in Los Angeles at a weird sort of junky vintage store - it was cheap and in bad condition, but a hot oxy clean bath and some new buttons and now it's just perfect! I've also been rag curling my hair a lot lately.. I've been so inspired by all the pretty early 30s inspired hairstyles in clothing photos that have been popping up on the internet - the loose curls pinned up around the neck! In case anyone wants to try it, I recommend putting the rags in right after you dry your hair and leave them in for about an hour or so - it makes the curls a bit more soft and subtle!

I had a really nice day today, hanging out in my apartment with Meggy and eating fancy lunches and finding a perfect plaid elfkin hooded elf coat at American Rag - and also just getting excited for the weekend in general! I'm going to see Alice in Wonderland tonight and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. The Disney version was a very important part of my childhood and I'm not usually into the dark adaptions of Tim Burton's story-making .... But, I'm keeping an open mind!! And I'm not going to lie, I'm excited for the frivolity of getting a big thing of buttery popcorn and a fountain soda!

Anyway, I better stop rambling and get myself ready to go! I'm wishing everyone lots of beautiful early Spring adventures this weekend!!! And I can't wait to see your photos and share mine, whatever they end up being!

PS I cleaned out my closet yesterday and I have a bunch of things to list, but I think I'll probably get to it tomorrow? I have a few more things to photograph so I think I'll just put it up all at once!

32 comments:

Cassaundra said...

your dress is amazingggg! where did you find it?!

hannah and landon said...

Lovely dress! In elementary school I would wear my hair in rags during the day because I thought it looked neat (though was often accused of wearing toilet paper in my hair). Now I keep my rag wearing to nighttime only.

Did you get to the museum of jurassic technology while in LA?

xo

Amanda said...

So pretty! I'm excited [but nervous] to see Alice in Wonderland too! I've always loved Tim Burton, but taking on this classic was a hugeee risk (well...in my eyes, because I lovelovelove the original) I hear that it's supposed to be kinda like a sequel though.

the snail and the cyclops said...

cassaundra - I got it at a place in Echo Park - American Vintage! I couldn't remember the name but luckily I save bags so I just went and rifled through my bag stash and found it!!!

Hannah - Awwh, that's the cutest story! So charming! And sadly, we didn't get to any of the places you recommended - those two days went by too fast! My boyfriend and I are both really excited to check it out though, so I know next time we're there, we're going!

Amanda - Oooh, gosh - fingers crossed!! We'll have to keep each other updated on what we think of it!!!

Rosie said...

Love your lace dress, I just thrifted a lace blouse, but would love an entire dress of lacey goodness like yours! Let us know how Alice in Wonderland is! I want to know if I should bother paying the absurd $10.

Mel said...

I agree, it feels like spring...well, in between the raining anyways. I love your dress, it's so beautiful and perfect for spring!

Rebecca Jane said...

this dress is romantic and beautiful

Meggy said...

I'm going to send you an email, but I wanted to say that I loooooooved spending time with you this week and hopefully we'll get to do a lot more of it in the future! Also, I still want to get your measurements so that I can poke around The Getup for you -- I think I have a better sense of what to get you after this week -- plus if you want to send me the dress, I'll get that new zipper for you, if you want. Okay, that probably should have gone in the email. Well, I'll still send you an email!

xo

chelsea said...

I adore that dress! It is exactly the what I've been looking for in a summer dress. What are the odds that it has a sister, in my size, in Chicago?

bestie said...

Such a lovely dress Effie! (:

Tilly said...

Ooh I like your kitchen (does that make me sound like an old grandma?). You look pretty too!

A said...

Your dress reminds me of my mother's old confirmation dress.. I think it's from the 40s, being also my grandmother's confirmation dress. Now I have to ask whether she would like to give it to me! :--))

Grace said...

I'm new to your blog and I have to say it's all very beautiful and inspirational!!

Your thoughts on the coming of Spring are so true, definately feels the same here across the pond!!

Cora said...

Beautiful dress, goes really well with your blonde hair.
I adore your braided rug, too!

Paige said...

Lovely dress. And I think I know what you mean about Spring. there's just so much possibility in the blossoms and the cool, clear air.

Anonymous said...

You look so pretty in those photos! The dress is absolutely beautiful. c:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Adorable! :)

Beatrix said...

That dress is wonderful. You always find the best things!

Oh, you will LOVE Alice! The costumes are so quirky and lovely. It's a sequel, about what happens when Alice returns thirteen years later. Have you read the originals? If you have, they will really make the movie all the more enjoyable, because certain elements return...

Anyhow, the movie is absolutely lovely. I really hope you like it!

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

What a great dress!! I love it when you find something that needs to be saved and it returns to its original glory!! It looks gorgeous on you!!

LUU H. said...

loved your white dress :) it's fits you perfectly

Samantha said...

Beautiful dress! I wish I could have wavy/curly hair but my hair is so straight curls just drop right out of it! :(
I hope Alice in Wonderland is good because its got really mixed reviews at the moment.

alex t said...

yup - it's that first little feeling of wanting to wear sandals. i love it.

Marcheline said...

Your last few posts have been AWESOME, the dresses of course are always so, and I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ALICE IN WONDERLAND!!!!

Paperdoll said...

About spring: I know exactly what you are talking about, cause I'm feeling it too.
And I love your dress! I'm really drawn to lacey things lately.

Kate said...

Beautiful dress :) And I know exactly what you mean about that feeling! I love the start of a new season :)

Laura said...

Aw, your hair looks amazing! I'm going to try rag curling tonight.

I felt the same way before seeing Alice, and I wasn't that surprised that I had a mixed reaction...but I'm seeing it again regardless! It's worth a second look just for the costuming & set design.

Solanah said...

I know exactly what you mean, the time between winter and spring is my favorite time of year ;) Especially when the cherry trees bloom!

Katherine said...

Oh I used to put up my hair in rags when I was a little girl (and I'm only 24), but I remember they were so uncomfortable to sleep in. Plus, my dad and brother called me Buckwheat which I didn't think was very nice at all.

What did you think of Alice?

Jessica said...

You look so pretty! That dress is just lovely! And your hair looks great! I hope you enjoy Alice and Wonderland!

Anonymous said...

I have been keeping one eye glued to yr blog for quite some time now. You've been so missed in Boston since you've moved. Perhaps we could have conversations through email?
Kristen
Bobby From Boston
bobbyfromboston@aol.com

Marie said...

Will love it when my hair gets a bit longer and I can try the rag curling, it looks lovely on you!
What an amazing dress that you've rescued.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

WendyB said...

Spring is my favorite season.

Related Posts with Thumbnails