Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I S O

( in search of )
. . .


I miss the old days ... Days of crumbling leather spines, cracking vellum covers, gigantic books with hand colored plates, and general amazement at the things that would make their way out of the pages. Since I parted ways with the Archive last summer I've been a lazy rat about finding beautiful book things on my own. Tonight, I decided to change that. In a temper tantrum like fit I've been searching the depths of the Biodiversity Library for books with seahorse illustrations. It's been one a 'to do' list for quite some time .. and I think the search shall continue until I find an entire book with engravings. I know it has to be out there. I just know it.

In the mean time, I share with you the very first of my finds, ghost fish. Tiny sea beats from the Archipelago, both dreadful and beautiful - all stuck between the pages of an old History book.

. . .

History of the fishes of Madeira

History of the fishes of Madeira

History of the fishes of Madeira

History of the fishes of Madeira

History of the fishes of Madeira

History of the fishes of Madeira

History of the fishes of Madeira

History of the fishes of Madeira

History of the fishes of Madeira

History of the fishes of Madeira

20 comments:

PixieBelle said...

Beautiful illustrations. I particularly like the seahorse and the hammerhead. Modern day reference books just don't quite cut it when it comes to illustrations.

Love_Again said...

beautiful post.

x

Tilly said...

They're gorgeous. I love the blowfish in particular.

Lulu said...

oh how absolutely wonderful! books are just too perfect, aren't they? and when they're old and "imperfect" is when they're the most perfect. to me, at least. =]

Sarah J said...

They're so intricate!!
i love the details on the scales and spines!

next time,
take me with you?

Rosie said...

I get the dreadful and beautiful at the same time... more dreadful though, fish really creep me out :o!

FutureLint said...

Wow! These illustrations are so cool!

Unknown said...

these are so lovely! I am such a science geek it makes me so happy to see wonderful pictures like this!

Marie said...

What lovely images- even the spookier ones are fab. The seahorse would be fabulous framed in a beach house...

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Jay said...

Spooky and strange and beautiful indeed! I think the pufferfish is my favorite; he looks so funny with his big throat and belly!

Kwil said...

I love these! I was JUST looking at screenprinted throw pillows with seahorses and octopus on them...
such otherwordly creatures.

Lila said...

Those are great! Whenever I get bored with the everyday pics, I go to a used bookstore. They have some pretty sweet finds!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

Jessica said...

Ohh mann--ahhmazing!! xx

Fabiola "Fab" said...

Not only I like to like fish but i like to eat them too. But I'll keep the seahorse as a friend tho.

Beautiful illustrations!

Unknown said...

I love illustration books like these. i have a soft spot for ones with birds or flowers.
I have one with african mammals which is really good as well.

The second to last one is definitely a favorite.

mechanic notions said...

I miss old books, I work at a used book store and it's amazing how beautiful the old books are, and how people forget them for that damn wikipedia.

So lame.

Unknown said...

Fish totally creep me out. And its too bad because I was raised by the ocean.
But these are excellent illustrations!

hello birdy said...

Oh my, these are fantastic! I'd love them as a series framed on my wall. They'd work fantastically screen printed too.

Q's Daydream said...

these are fantastic! LOVE!

loveology said...

Gorgeous,
i always fall in love with old drawings...

mila.

Related Posts with Thumbnails