Tuesday, March 23, 2010

SF Spring Vintage Expo loot

The Spring SF Vintage Expo was this past weekend and the entire week before I was himm'ing and haw'ing about going. I'd heard that the prices were insanely expensive - and who wants to spend a day looking at pretty dresses you can't have? We went though, and I'm glad we did. We showed up on Saturday in the early afternoon to be greeted by the lovely duo that is The SF Style.

When I first started walking around I seriously got so overwhelmed by all the beautiful things I started tearing up. It was just - too much, too fast. So, I did the initial loop around - and then I pulled myself together to start the browsing. I have to do this with magazines too... I can't read any one thing until I flip through the entire thing.

The expo had mostly ladies clothing. A range from Edwardian lawn dresses to 60s polyester with some really amazing sheer/floaty 30s dresses in between. Lots of shoes, hats, jewelry, and sunnies too. There was also a really lovely selection of fabric and sewing notions - if only I were a dressmaker, it would have been a really great opportunity to stock a fabric stash. I was a little disappointed on the men's clothing situation. The few folks carrying menswear had mostly 50s rockabilly styles and not a single piece of nice workwear, denim, or collegiate attire to be found. Does this only exist in LA and on the East Coast?? I'm beginning to wonder....

... So, my loot - gosh.... what was supposed to be a weekend of no shopping for me, turned into 3 dresses, a coat, a scarf, and 3 old millinery flower do-dads for my hair... I have absolutely no self control.

Blue and White Dresses

cheap and busted

 millinery flowers

poodles and sweet peas


I wore the 30s fruit print dress home on Saturday. And immediately stuck one of the flowers in my hair

flowerhair

flower hair

. . .


We ended up going back to the expo on Sunday and I wore the 40s geometric print dress ... I get so stupidly obsessed with new things... I wear them for days and days in a row until I'm sick of them.

IMG_2945

. . .


I lugged my camera with me to the expo (see proof of the thing making my bag look ridiculous) but I didn't snap a single photo. I know how crotchety old ladies get about taking photos of their stuff at expos and fleas, and I didn't even feel like getting a lecture. The Hummingbird Girls managed to get some good ones though!

30 comments:

Caroline said...

That dress is beautiful!!! You have to love SF!! Swoon! xo

anabela / fieldguided said...

Oh girl, you always look so beautiful!

Sounds like a pretty perfect weekend.

Q's Daydream said...

oh gosh, how amazing! i know i would cry if i ever was able to go to the vintage expo!
The things you bought are so lovely. also, you are not along when it comes to wearing new things for days and days in a row, hehe ;o)

Under Capricorn Vintage said...

That geo dress is gorgeous! Great find.

What we four say said...

What lovely finds you have there!! I wish I had known about the epxo before sunday! Thanks for mentioning The hummingbird gals. I love finding new SF blogs to read! I think we need to have a SF bloggers meet-up soon! xoxo

reilly said...

LOVE the second dress you're wearing, I need to make something similar!

sew nancy said...

Gosh , these dresses and bits are gorgeous and you look stunning as well

13bees said...

so cute, nice scores!

Hanne said...

Ah! I can't believe I missed this! It looks breathtaking. Great finds!

BaronessVonVintage said...

that 30s dress is DIVINE. I LOVE that flower in your hair, too. GORGEOUS! I had a super flipout at the vintage show I went to a few weeks ago (my first one) and it wasn't nearly as big as the SF one. I literally almost swooned. What a rush!

Sarah J said...

ooooooooooh baracuda! that coat is stunning!! and that flower looks simply wonderful.

labonnefemme1 said...

Love , Love, Love the blue dress with the white top! You are so lovely!

chelsea said...

Great finds! You look so lovely. They weren't awfully expensive, were they? Well, they seem like good purchases whatever the price, especially if they make you happy.

Katy said...

I love that second dress, with the blue geometric-print skirt! Lucky find!

Mystery Flight Vintage said...

oh wow! you did so well, everything is amazing. i especially have a soft spot for the poodle scarf.

kater said...

How lovely! You are just the prettiest thing!

The expo looks like so much fun--I wish we had more things like that around here, but it seems I'm 3+ hours from anything cool :(

Not sure what the deal is with people not wanting pictures taken. I wish there was some kind of insider somewhere who could let us know why it's such a no-no!

Madeline Veenstra said...

I love the last skirt, so pretty :)

Annalise said...

Funny that when we met you were already wearing your new dress and we didn't get to see your original outfit. Thanks to the SF Style for letting us get a peek. I love all your finds! XOXO

Penelope Nightingale said...

Oh my, I can really relate to that overwhelming feeling that results in tears! Even the thought of a Vintage Expo makes me feel all jittery inside, ha! It looks like it was worth it, though, you've found some gorgeous treasures!

Penelope

Lemon said...

love love love the flowers....

Amanda said...

That flower looks so lovely in your hair :]

I am the same way with new clothes. I just want to wear them everyday!! But I know that might be slightly weird for the people who do see me on a daily basis...

Avalonne Hall said...

Hey! I just saw your photos on THE SF STYLE, you are so pretty and I love the way you dress. I wish I could've gone to the SF Spring Vintage Expo. Where was it? I'm in London now, so I pretty much did the same thing at Brick Lane in London. I wanted to die, because everything was so expensive and beautiful. I'm going to upload photos once I've edited them :)

A said...

beautiful and perfectly lovely...

happy to stumble into this lovely blog.
xx
peace and love from san francisco.

refusestolabel.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh man I missed you, I went on sunday!

Liane said...

that coat in the second picture down. i will be honest and tell you if i could reach into the computer and snatch it i would!

Annie, Time Enough for Drums said...

The dress with the blue patterned skirt is gorgeous! Annie.

Hope Thompson said...

That brown dress and cream coat! LOVE!

ANDWHATELSEISTHERE said...

Look beautiful, really love the skirt...PERFECT ;)

Shanti said...

I love, love, love your clothes! That skirt and dress are darling and you look lovely in them!! :)


www.landpiranhavntg.etsy.com

heleen said...

Oh, the fact you teared up makes me like you even more! So sweet

Related Posts with Thumbnails