Wednesday, June 9, 2010

cupcakes, garden roses and seahorses

cupcakes and tea

Yesterday was Meggy's birthday! So to help her celebrate I made red velvet cupcakes (with the Sprinkles cake mix) and home made cream cheese frosting. It was definitely my first attempt at making cupcakes. I was more or less prepared to except defeat as soon as I started, but I was pretty happy with how they turned out! It was also my first attempt at applying frosting and that turned out okayy. I need to practice ... I would also like a kitchen aid mixer for future attempts ... But I don't see one entering my life for another few years.

garden rose


I would also like to say that this cut garden rose has changed my thoughts on keeping roses in the house and more or less changed my daily life routine a bit. It smells SO beautiful. I move it around with me depending on what room I'll be in. Above the sink while I'm washing dishes. On the table when I'm doing computer work. I would make my own rose water with it if I could ever bring myself to take those petals apart. The thought of having my own little dirt road cottage is seeming even lovelier if I could only have a few bushes of these around!

jhp

jhp


That JHP seahorse cuff is something I'm really excited to have in my life! One of the elusive Jean Painlevé seahorse jewelry pieces they made in the 30s. This is my second piece, I have a brooch as well and I'd really love to keep building my collection. This one is beautiful with seafoam bakelite and a perfectly un-perfect patina. I don't normally wear bracelets but this one feels really perfect on my wrist.

29 comments:

Unknown said...

The pitcher and glass are so cute!! I'm really into this minty sea foam green color that keeps popping up lately.

KeepItFvncy,
M.E.

mariel said...

that's so sweet if you! ps: that pitcher is soooo darling. i want one!

kater said...

I can't even deal with that seahorse bracelet. It's so amazing!

And I love the little green pitcher and cup and sugar looking thingy! It's all so perfectly tea-steeped looking.

We got a kitchenaid mixer from my grandmother. It has changed my life.

Katherine said...

For a first cupcake attempt, they aren't too bad! If it helps, my husband's first cupcake try ended up looking all kinds of funny on top.

I have a crush on your cake tier.

Jessica said...

Everything you have is so perfect--even your kitchen supplies. You're pure magic, I tell ya!

Oh dear. and the seahorse bracelet. Holy smokes!!! Dreamy beyond dreamy!! That's really such an incredible find--so wonderful in every which way!

xx

Unknown said...

love the seahorse bracelet!!
and the cupcakes look really yummy :)
page

calivintage said...

ah, the cupcakes look beautiful! this kinda reminds me that once upon a time i was a pastry chef, and i literally haven't used my kitchen aid in years...

Isabel said...

Dang, I'm really craving cupcakes now.

the spectator said...

Just in case you ever get round to planting others like that rose it comes from the range developed by David Austin.

Fear is a Dirty Word said...

That sea horse cuff is so beautiful! The green color is lovely with the gold

A said...

Oh, I'm a sucker for mint green things. And light pink roses. Your first cupcakes look just delicious!

Hannah said...

Ahhh I love this post so much. You own the loveliest things and have the best knack for making them sit pretty together! That bracelet is amazing too and so perfect for you!

Bárbara said...

What a lovely detail for your sister!!! And that bracelet is gorgeus

A said...

very pretty and those cakes look yummy!

Love_Again said...

the seahorse cuff is insanely gorgeous, and those cupcakes look fabulous..no harm in making more for practice though! yum!

Spencer. said...

Your photos are always so lovely :)
I live in a house full of flowers (my mother is a florsit and we live above her little shop)
That bracelet is adorable! I don't usually wear bracelets either, instead of a watch a wear a little clock necklace, tehe.
Love your blog

www.simplyspence.blogspot.com
x x x

Rebecca said...

The seahorse bracelet is beautiful. I love seafoam green, it is the prettiest colour.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous bracelet!

Casey said...

How lovely! I adore the smell of fresh cut roses; I'm always excited when I get some (a rare occurrence, but that makes it all the more special!).

The bracelet is amazing! What a fantastic find!!!

♥ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com

Tamina listening said...

That seahorse bracelet is beautiful! I've been trying to seek out that Painleve inspired line for years. I'm so jealous!

Marcheline said...

Hey - great stuff! I was just antiquing on Tuesday and picked up some swell vintage table cloths - they're in my new post! Come see!

I was also considering buying some jadite (jadeite?) but couldn't find the size bowl I was looking for. Love that set you have!

Rae said...

I love that pitcher. I'll be keeping an eye for something like that as of now!

thefabledneedle (jen) said...

omg, that bracelet! wow! it has some of my favorite things: green with gold plus sea life!

Jen Hsieh said...

there's nothing better than red velvet cupcakes on your birthday! that's so sweet of you to make them. :)
and that seahorse cuff is fantastic!

Clara Campelo said...

lovely pics!!
xxx

reckless daughter said...

eek, that bracelet is beautiful! as is that sweet pink rose! I love that it goes where you go.

PS: well done on the cupcakes! I've been lusting after a kitchen aid for years. my mom says I'll probably have to get married to get one. I say rubbish!

lulu said...

SWOONING over that bracelet!!

red dirt revival said...

what a fantastic jadeite pitcher set! Too pretty!

Little Amy said...

I love those green glass containers. They're magical!

Check out my store, I think you'd really like it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/latenightaew

Related Posts with Thumbnails