Monday, September 21, 2009

Places to Visit, San Francisco - The Perish Trust

Do you ever find yourself in a place ... a store, a restaurant, a sweet shop, heck even a bowling alley and feel just overwhelmingly happy it exists? I feel that way about a lot of places on the East Coast and that is exactly how I felt when we went to visit the Perish Trust.

Before we even stepped in the door I was taken aback by how beautiful their window display was. If there's one deal maker or breaker about a store - it's their window display. And I was immediately in awe of every single tiny detail. Amazing weathered wood. Beautiful glass. A mermaid/anchor duo. And that dang chair.

The Perish Trust

The Perish Trust

The Perish Trust

The Perish Trust

The Perish Trust


Even after stepping just a few toes through the door I knew I was in for it. So many magical items rescued and restored back to a working state. The forgotten literary, meticulous engineer, wayward seaman - all so perfectly placed under, around, and next to one another. ....Ah! If only I could be like one of those cute little mice in that forgotten children's show Today's Special.

The Perish Trust

The Perish Trust

The Perish Trust


... AND they have the best twine collection I've ever seen. In my life.

The Perish Trust


It's shop like these that make me appreciate living in San Francisco. It's nice to e able to pop in whenever I want and be a part of that beautiful world for an afternoon.

If you live here, or you're visiting - here are a few things to remember:
1. Plan ahead. They keep somewhat wonky hours which are posted on their website - but it seems like they might change depending on the week and their availability. So, be sure and make sure they're open before you go!

The Perish Trust


2. DO NOT leave without a box of the sea salted chocolate caramels. Seriously. I'm not joking. They. Are. Amazing.

The Perish Trust


3. That's all really... but let me just stress again how important it is to bring home a box of caramels!! For real, this is no joke!!

37 comments:

Meaghan Kelly said...

aww now i wish more than ever i was over there on the West coast for a little while! :)
those type writers are dreamy! and the caramel sounds too delicious to be real!

leila wylie said...

omg, this place looks amazing! I've never been to SF but if/when I go I will definitely be stopping by there. And I love anything chocolate-y with salt!

Mel said...

Wow I live in SF and I've never heard of that place. I think I'll stop by one day, just for those chocolate caramels.

Hanne said...

I'm going to visit this place, now! As soon as possible, hopefully. That chair is a dream..

babieswithstaches said...

That looks amazing.

Today's Special was one of my favorite shows growing up.

and, umm will you take me here when I come out to SF?

What we four say said...

That store looks lovely!

I you haven't already, you should check out paxton gate and paxton gate toy store, they are both on Valencia one right off 19th (regular) and the other 18th (toy store). They have a lot of neat things including taxidermy, if you are not into that sort of thing the toy store is amazing as well. THere is lots of vintage toys and new as well. I think you would enjoy both of them!

http://www.paxtongate.com/default.aspx

sara curnow wilson said...

i am so surprised that both you and the commenter above remember todays special! that was my absolute favorite and you are right, no one remembers it!

Jessica said...

Oh my! Dreamy, dreamy!! No matter where you go, you always find the most magical places! You truly are one lucky lady to have this near by--it really does look like the most magical place ever! xx

Gracie said...

i have never been to San Francisco, but if i do go i am so stopping by there. that shop sounds lovely, and mmm, i am liking the sound of the caramel.
xx

Ashley said...

oh wow! I love the chair and that type writer! The way you describe the chocolates makes me crave for one now.

calivintage said...

ooh thanks for the tip. i really should visit sf more often, seeing as how i'm in oakland! those chocolates look so yummy, i think i might have to check it out!

mechanic notions said...

I am assuming you've been to the Musee Mecanique on Pier 45.
If not, you should go.
I think you'll love it.
I always make it my first stop when I'm in S.F.

Lexie said...

i LOVE sea salt caramels! yum yum yum

sarah said...

What an exciting little shop! I've always wanted to visit San Francisco - I am always impressed by the curiosities that turn up there. Perhaps someday I will go! :) Thank you for sharing it with us!

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

Ooh looks like such a wonderful place! Those chocolates look amazing!

emma wallace said...

Ooh! Someone brought me those decadent caramels once! A three-ring-circus of flavor!

Rebecca Jane said...

This place looks like the most fun to browse..

Anonymous said...

OH those chocolates are NO JOKE! I bought some for my mom and she hid them so no one would eat them!

The best part is they are called Hookers chocolates! and the boxes are soo cute!

vanessa porter said...

You seem to find the most wonderful places! Everything looks beautiful

Stéphanie Bingham said...

Today's Special was one of my favorite shows growing up and i had forgotten it existed until you brought it up in this post! Thank you! Thank you!

Julie said...

I am obsessed with sea salt caramels! I had the most amazing lavender infused version at a little shop in Portland. I am headed to San Fran soon and will be sure to stop by this shop!

Huzzah! Vintage said...

i agree. this place is *totally* awesome.

(how is it that i've never had the sea salted chocolates, though?!)

evieladd said...

What are you favorite places like this in Boston, I would like to know if there are any I am missing.
Thanks!

Secondhand Stella said...

Today's Special was one of my fav shows when I was little ;)

Kenza said...

ooh, that place looks awesome! glad you found it, eh.mm those chocolate caramels, looks delicious.
great blog :)

TIRED MARGOT said...

i love your blog









drinkteabecontent.blogspot.com
xoxo

Havilah Savage said...

i would love that shop! magical.

{ CopyStrands } said...

I would love to visit that store!

Hannah said...

Ah it looks magical! I love the way they've arranged the scissors, what a great idea.

Grace said...

That place looks divine.

Love Grace.

ps. Just found your blog, you are adorable. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blogroll!

dy of ghost said...

lovely photos and lovely blog! i'm currently obsessed with sea salt on chocolate, it's the best!

jeff allen said...

My phone is finally dead. I am going to get a new one tonight. You need to update this more often, how else am I going to keep up on your life now that you are on the other side of the country?!?!??!

IKS said...

oh so beautiful findings.. i dream of going to visit SF, an i hope someday i will :)

solsticehome said...

hi
i just found your sweet blog and flickr stream ~oh~ i'm now hooked & a follower..wonderful photos and great posts
sue

Anonymous said...

These pictures are wonderful. It looks like such a beautiful place. I'd love to visit San Fran again, hopefully I'll get the chance soon

Polly x

Becca Joy said...

All your pictures looked so adorable, and that chair is amazing. I've heard of those caramels, it seems weird that there'd be salt on the top, but thats what makes them so delicious :)

Anonymous said...

This place looks incredible! I know where I'll be stopping next time I'm in town :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails