Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What genus are you?

Ah yes, installment no. 3 of my favorite series - What genus are you?. This set is from a lovely book of botany drawings from a three year voyage to the Antarctic. They set sail in 1844 and returned home in 1847, and I have to say - they sure did see a lot of pretty things during their time away!! Enough for me to break up the drawings into two posts! And no, I'm not giving up any links to the book yet! You'll have to wait until tomorrow (maybe?) to see the book in its entirety!

. . .

GnuBookImages.php

. . .

3

. . .

9

. . .

21

. . .

11

. . .

8

. . .

15

. . .

14

. . .

12

. . .

18

. . .

10

. . .

6.1

. . .

5.1

. . .

4

. . .

111

. . .

222

. . .


Oh, and those of you with some time on your hands - you really should click on the picture and view it large through my flickr stream - there's so many beautiful details in each one that get lost at a smaller resolution size!

8 comments:

MJ said...

I love those. I made a post like this a looong time ago, but I keep looking at it sometimes when I need inspiration. Now I can look at yours too!

I just love the different tones of green in each of these prints.

Have a nice day!

MJ

Liz said...

xD I have always been so in love with those detailed botany drawings! On EVERY voyage there was an artist and they were all so talented xD it is amazing what they could do back then with some ink and paint!

BRANDI MILNE said...

Ima snail, are you a cyclops? I hope so.

Parapluie said...

Drawing these must haven been such a beautiful way of spending one's time!

leila wylie said...

I love these! I have that giant old book "A Cabinet of Natural Curiosities" and my favorite section is the botanical drawings.

Lemon said...

huzzah for a 3rd installment! love these pictures.

Jana FitzGerald said...

this is so lovely! horticulture is such an alluring study.

Jane said...

I love botanical illustrations

Related Posts with Thumbnails