Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Nothing like good 'ol academic camaraderie!

One of my favorite things to do at my parents house is ransack their photo album stashes. It always ends up in stomach achin' laughs from someone's silly childhood photos (usually its my dad's!) and I always hear a new over the top family story I haven't heard before. I think the best album I've come across so far is from my mom's mother as a high school girl. There are some cool and somewhat angsty art collages in there along with some of my favorite family 'fashion' photos - but for now, I'll only share a few (I want to scan the entire thing properly!)

My grandmother is right in the middle and I have to say, she has quite the group of smartly dressed friends!! The jumper dresses with oxfords and mary jane's, the subtle details on their blouses and those cute little belts that pull everything together! It's got me wishin' for a new pair of shoes and a freshly ironed white blouse!





. . .


I have no idea who this lady is, or what's got her so upset - but, she has herself a really wonderful top and I keep hoping and praying for the day I find something similar. It's actually what inspired my recent quest for more old blouses.



. . .


I'm also quite a fan of this crew. None of which are my grandfather - but certainly a strapping crew none the less. Funny to think of them as grandfathers or great grandfathers now! (if you look closely at the boy in the front on the right, his sweater is totally making me want to steal all my boyfriend's sweaters and stitch the Ivy League letters on the front!)



. . .


This last photo should make me sad, but - I mean - of course the library at this school is without a soul - everyone is too busy outside lookin' good and chummin' around!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing, these are wonderful photos, great fashion too :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for sharing!

That boy in the middle of the strapping group looks like the king of the heap! He's tan & preppy and you can just tell he probably got lots of ladies after a hard day on the tennis courts.

sarah said...

i'm intrigued by the hairdo's, how perfectly coiffed and curled they were, and as though they wouldn't budge in a storm. such a different time... wonderful photos!
xo s

Ali said...

I love that photo of the boys! with different clothes, it could be a picture of any of my friends... and yes it is weird to think that they'd all be in their 70s/80s now!

Amelia said...

I love the shoes in the first picture. These photos are great...especially the one of the fellows.

Rebecca Jane said...

i love looking through old photos, it's always so interesting - and these ones are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

young said...

You know, I have bangs just a tiny bit longer than yours. I am sure you could do the braid-across-the-forehead too!

Eyeliah said...

Dreamy clothes, and boys...

mary catherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mary catherine said...

while i do so love a mini, i'm thinking the knee-length might be the new way to go... love these photos...thank you for sharing!

esme and the laneway said...

What a lovely collections of photos – thanks for sharing!

I love looking at old pics like this. I'm now off to look for more pics of men (ha does that sound dodgy?!) on Flickr, because I love their jumper + pants thing...

Emily Rose said...

aw, stop it. i miss your posts! im glad your getting back to it. i don't know, maybe the blog thing just isn't for me. but i really do need to get back to flickr. it breaks my heart my lack of w_r. and iv been dressing well too! im just lazy i suppose.

reckless daughter said...

great photos. I wish my parents had all of their parents photos in one place - they are apparently spread out among my aunts, uncles & grandparents.

lucky you to have such a cool collection at your fingertips!

Penny said...

brilliant photographs!! i haven't seen any of my grandparents when they were young, i think one of my aunts has them.
i must get them and have a look!

Miss Urbanita said...

Amazing pics! Kisses

http://www.missurbanita.com

Sanna Dyker said...

What a lovely look back at past fashions. I love what the boys are wearing. I'm so glad my boy wears jumpers like these and is always in a shirt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails